Templates by: Neal Ulen
Update: We’ve developed an online html generator that removes having to manually edit html. Click here to try it out!!
Have you ever wanted a consistent information panel for all your VASL games, but didn’t want to take the time to create one or set one up every time you played? I’ve got you covered! Not only do these information panels make your game look spiffy, they also provide all basic scenario information including: scenario #, name, date, location, players, nationalities, SAN/ELR, victory conditions, blocks for information counters (phase wheel, weather conditions, no quarter), as well as a turn track table.
Now in a matter of minutes you can transfer all the info from you scenario card into this template and start playing.
There are VASL information templates, one horizontal and one vertical, that can be pasted into any VASL label element to display all scenario information. See the bottom of the page for images of the stock templates.
Note: Basic understanding of HTML/CSS is require to edit these templates to fill in scenario information, but can be accomplished using any basic text editor.
Note 2: Unfortunately Google font embedding does not work in VASL, so one of the fonts used, Russo One, will not display properly unless you download it to your computer. Get it here.
Download the .zip file containing both templates, here.
Here are the steps to use them:
- Open in a basic text editor like Notepad.
- Edit the scenario information block (scenario number, name, date, location).
- Edit the nationality logo name in the table by modifying the <td class=”nationalitylogo”> elements.
- td.nationality = nationality color definition (ex. td.british sets British nationality color).
- td.nationalitylogo = nationality logo definition (ex. td.britishlogo sets British nationality logo).
- Edit nationality color information (nationality, player name, ELR #, SAN #) in the table by modifying the <td class=”nationality”> elements.
- Edit player information (nationality, player name, ELR #, SAN #) in the table element.
- Edit the victory conditions.
- Delete turns not needed in the scenario (optional).
- Save the .txt file.
- In VASL create any Label element from Draggable Overlays area (or hit alt-o).
- Drag the Label overlay to your VASL play area.
- Right click on the Label, pick Line 2, delete the text.
- Right click on the Label again, pick Label from the menu.
- Then past the HTML code from the template you are using into the field.
- Hit OK.
- Your template should be displayed.
- Use shift-left-click to select it and move it around.
- Populate it with phase wheel and information counters.
All images are hosted on the asl-players.net server, and are pulled from there.
If you are experienced with HTML/CSS feel free to modify the templates to fit your needs beyond the basics.
© 2021-2023, Neal Ulen. All Rights Reserved. Please read the Copyright & Fair Use Notice.
ASL-Players.net is not affiliated with Hasbro, AH Games, Inc., or MMP, Inc. Advanced Squad Leader is a trademark of AH Games, Inc.
I’ve seen this in your videos, super nice. Time to learn a little html. Thanks for sharing Neal!
You are most welcome Kevin. If you need help just post here on in the VASL Facebook group.
I’ve seen these while kibitzing games on VASL, and have been very impressed!
I have a fair amount of html experience from VASL-izing my collection of scenarios. I currently have app. 2,000 of them, complete with the Victory Conditions, SSRs, and descriptions of the units involved, all in various levels of VASL, from 5.9.2 up to 5.6.1. This is a task that has occupied me since Level 5.2.0 was issued.
So, yes I would be interested in this. I don’t know that I would use this in all 2,000 scenarios, but I would like to try them on any scenarios I would like to try in the VASL forum.
Hi Larry, if you’re interested in this format I would just implement it each time you play a new scenario. Seems like a big task to convert everything.
One thing is there are plants to implement a page on this site so all you have to do is enter all the scenario info in a webpage form, hit submit, and it will spit out the html needed to generate these. That way there’s no need to know anything about html/css.
Might be a niche market, but do you anticipate a similar style graphic banner for SK scenarios?
Hi Jon, yes we could certainly implement that in the web version that spits out the html for users. Or SK users could use as is and just ignore SAN and condition boxes.
Hi Neal, this is a great tool. The only thing is I haven’t yet gotten it to work. I (think I have) followed the instructions yet the result of pasting my text file into the Label in VASL is simply a long line of text… there’s no table. What am I missing?
Hi Andy, you might be missing a bit of the html. Also, make sure you paste it in the Label areas, not the Line2 area of the Label. Finally, I recommend using our new online version that generates all the html. See this article, link to the tool is a couple paragraphs in, or on the right side of this webpage “VASL Bling!” link.
Yes, I was missing something. The new page works perfectly.