ASL SK to ASL

Anything ASLSK related.
RskSmiles

ASL SK to ASL

Post by RskSmiles »

Hi all,

I have just read Neal’s article about the starter kits.

I have ASL and a few modules. Is there anything stopping me, rules wise, from playing ASL scenarios with the ASL SK 3 rule set?

I appreciate there are way more ASL rules than for SK 3 but are the scenarios in ASL designed in such a way that the balance in them would be changed?

Thanks for your thoughts.

- RskSmiles
Neal
Site Admin

Re: ASL SK to ASL

Post by Neal »

Nothing is stopping you from trying them out and giving them a shot using SK rules, just pick scenarios that really can't be played without specific rulesets. For example, scenarios with: off board arty, night rules, etc.

Some scenarios might play differently because critical rules are missing, like bypass movement which significantly transforms the battlefield and a player's choices. Rules like snipers and Heat of Battle only rarely affect the outcome of an actual game, and are there to add more excitement and unpredictability more than anything, IMO anyway.
RskSmiles

Post by RskSmiles »

Neal wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 9:36 pm Nothing is stopping you from trying them out and giving them a shot using SK rules, just pick scenarios that really can't be played without specific rulesets. For example, scenarios with: off board arty, night rules, etc.

Some scenarios might play differently because critical rules are missing, like bypass movement which significantly transforms the battlefield and a player's choices. Rules like snipers and Heat of Battle only rarely affect the outcome of an actual game, and are there to add more excitement and unpredictability more than anything, IMO anyway.
Hi Neal, thanks for the reply. I will give it a go thanks. So if I understand what you say it means that any scenario which does require extra rules I could just spend a bit of time reading those specific rules rather than having to digest the whole book. Psychologically that helps a lot !

I have been watching you videos on YouTube and enjoying them immensely … I find them well paced and very informative.

Keep up the great work.
ray

Post by ray »

glad u mentioned in the sk world there is no bypass movement. sorry can't live without bypass movement. even if just playing SL. need the COD add ons.
question is wasn't the paratrooper module a kind of sk?
I often pull the documentation and peruse it and wish it was animated or something. I think text to audio might make the rules less onerous. the videos are alright. only watched one and had a question. don't remember if it was the routing one but was wondering why some were in bypass and others not. quandary was how the fp was rendered. even if I never play again ASL and SL is always on my mind.
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »

One thing I forgot to mention that I don't think is often considered. Almost all full ASL boards have elevation terrain to worry about: hills, cliffs, multi-level buildings, depressions, gullies, etc. So to play any ASL scenario using SK rules you'd have to learn the full elevation rules. You could probably hunt and peck to find full ASL scenarios that don't have any elevation, but it would probably be a pain.