VASL Computer Requirements

Virtual Advanced Squad Leader
jbmattioli

VASL Computer Requirements

Post by jbmattioli »

As a new member what are the computer requirement to properly run the VASL program?
Can the program be used for individual play and practice before playing an opponent online?
Thanks for the assistance!
John
Neal
Site Admin

Re: VASL Computer Requirements

Post by Neal »

It will run on Windows, MacOS, or Linux. https://vassalengine.org/download.html

You need to download the Vassal Engine, then download the VASL game module that is used by the engine.

https://vasl.info

Yes, you can play solo on your computer just like you'd play solo using physical ASL components on a table.

Neal - Site Admin
ray

Post by ray »

Hi,
Had vasl installed on an os10 mac. After typing stuff in for 1 1//2 hours to my chagrin it wouldnt save. so what was wrong. only recently did i see that some versions required java. so was that it?? anyway saw here that newer versions have java bundled. so to try again what version might i try on a new laptop??
secondly since i have no electric i was intrigued when i saw that there is a linux version. so i thought to try the linux version on a tablet. i believe i got some linux versions from the vassal web site. i picked debian and to my amazement it installed but to my chagrin again the load command wasn't highlighted. so what was up there?? so what linux version would be best on a tablet. i understand that android is a GUI running on top of linux. i dont want to do any root work since it says if something goes amiss the tablet will be a nonworking piece of plastic. any advice here will be helpful.
also any comments on the KG peiper games would be nice. dont know if this is the right forum or not.
also can u KG peiper wiyh just the map sheets and counters and scenario cards??
and finally what about a 3d VASL?? someone did board 1,2 and 3 on sketchup. would be very interesting and be perfect for a hyper card version.
RAy.
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »

You would also need all the special rules, reinforcement tables, etc to play KGP on VASL. But yes, the maps and all the counters are available to play it on VASL.

Neal - Site Admin