VASL real-time with audio / video

Virtual Advanced Squad Leader
Thompsonmg

VASL real-time with audio / video

Post by Thompsonmg »

Neal / others,

Like others here, coming back to the game after playing in the late 70s/early 80s (with the purple box SL!). Learned VASL with Neal's fantastic videos (thank you) and played solitaire The Guards Counterattack and Retaking Vierville. Question: what is the preferred way to play VASL with another player with audio and/video to allow real-time interaction. I reckon that the real-time interchange will be the best way to re-learn the game (and be more enjoyable).

Thanks.

Mark
Neal
Site Admin

Re: VASL real-time with audio / video

Post by Neal »

Hi Mark. We use Discord for talking. It's a VOIP (voice over IP) application. There's an ASL Discord channel with probably 1000+ members, chat rooms, voice rooms, and the ability to share your screen.

Here's an invite link (link expires after 7 days): https://discord.gg/ntwExzrN

You don't really need video to play VASL with another player. Sharing faces/cameras is optional, but you definitely need voice. So, just join the VASL server as I show in one of my videos, create a room (or join a room), and jump on Discord with another person who has it and chat away.

Video on how to connect to the VASL server and create/join rooms:

Admin
Thompsonmg

Post by Thompsonmg »

Thanks very much Neal!
Thompsonmg

Post by Thompsonmg »

Neal, one follow-up and then I'll put in more sweat equity on my side. Is there a place where I can download various scenarios that players have already set up and saved before initiating play. I've begun creating my own file with scenarios I have set up, but figure that it will be easier to get games going on shorter notice using pre-set-up scenario files. Thanks again. Mark
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »

Yes, there are some places.

I've begun uploading .vsav files in the Files section here, but only a handful:
https://asl-players.net/advanced-squad- ... iles-vsav/

The official VASL website has some in their downloads section (warning: some were set up using fairly old versions of VASL, so they are hit and miss):
http://vasl.info/scenarios.htm

A third option/trick is to jump into room in VASL and just save the current game they are playing after it loads in their room. You'll get the board setup, etc. But depending on when you save it you'll have to clean up all the counters.

That's pretty much it for the most part.

Admin
Thompsonmg

Post by Thompsonmg »

Thanks Neil. If I figure out how to do it, I'll post some on your site or Discord once I get going....