The Streets of Stalingrad - ASL Scenario C

Post your ASL AARs here.
Badger317

The Streets of Stalingrad - ASL Scenario C

Post by Badger317 »

Stalingrad, Russia - October 6, 1942

Russians- Brandon (aka injurwii)
Russian armor supporting elements of: 308th Rifle Division; 2nd Battalion, 37th Guards Division; 295th Rifle Division

Germans - Peyton (aka Badger317)
German armor supporting: Company H, 389th Infantry Regiment (Assault Engineer Battalion, Kampfgruppe Stahler, Kampfgruppe Teinham)

The set up was pretty much laid out between Scenarios A and B. The only choices given to the players was how to set up within the specified buildings. It was agreed at the start that in the event of a draw, the Russian player would lose if they did not meet the 3:1 ratio of unbroken squads on the map.

Scenario A: The Guards Counterattack
The Guards Riflemen started their counterattack with a human wave across the street from building F3 to building F5. However, they were met by the teeth of an LMG and the human wave was costly - killing the Russian 10-2 leader and breaking a majority of the squads. A handful of Guards Riflemen successfully entered their objective and quickly took control of the building. The Russian commissars ended up killing more Russian squads than the Germans did in the apartments, but it was not enough to give the Germans the edge. Attacks from all sides of the area constricted the German defenses. HMG and MMG German squads were eliminated for failure to rout (no quarter was given). In the end, there was only one German squad remaining in the central building, clutching their LMG for dear life. Russian armor entered on Turn 2, with one tank supporting the guards and the rest heading east to ensnare the Germans preoccupied with trying to take the Tractor Works.

Scenario B - The Tractor Works
The Russians stacked the Tractor Works with a perimeter of HMGs, MMGs, and LMGs. Another detachment was set up to the west, preparing for a flank on the Germans. The German Assault Engineers with their DCs and FTs were set up and ready to enter the Tractor Works - to take it at any cost. They tried to break the enemy's concealment for a couple of turns and ultimately silenced a number of the outer perimeter defenses in the factory. However, an HMG broke twice and ultimately was eliminated in the process. German tanks were on their way to support, but the German High Command became anxious as they saw Russians moving from the apartments to the west to encircle them. The Russian armor also came to the aid of those in the Tractor Works. It was decided that a charge was needed to try and take the Tractor Works and to play for a draw. The charge did not turn out in the German's favor. Some units broke during the charge and others were decimated by large stacks of Russian squads defending the factory. The Russian tanks further cleaned up stragglers outside the Tractor Works, nearly obliterating the German infantry squads (only 6 German squads remained unbroken on board). This lead to the surrender of the Germans to the Russians at the start of German Turn 3.
The aftermath...
The aftermath...
My thoughts (Peyton):
This was probably one of my top scenarios that we have played together since we started our ASL journey together back in the Fall of 2023. Since the beginning we have played a ton of scenarios - different theaters, different eras in WWII, even the Korean War. But this scenario really takes the cake. The combination of Scenario A and Scenario B into Scenario C led to an engaging and often chaotic game that really made me feel the grit of street fighting. I remember loudly bemoaning the loss of leaders and HMG squads to rout failures, knowing it was inevitable. There was joy, heartbreak, and fury, all in one neat little package. I also found that simultaneously defending and attacking was a new challenge - how do you make sure you are doing both well. I think that the quick loss of the apartments to the Russian guards got me antsy to take the factory. This, ultimately, led to my downfall. The tank support would have been beneficial, especially for the smoke capabilities. It definitely would have made the approach on the factory a lot easier.

This was our first big jump into VASL (Thanks to Neal for the awesome video series and scenario builder!), and I feel more comfortable using the VASSAL system to play ASL. We plan on playing in person still (the benefit of living with your ASL partner ;) , but VASL is perfect for scenarios like these with large counter numbers. I hope to figure out how to record the turns for a better AAR from VASL. Maybe on our next VASL scenario...

Final Verdict:
10/10, would recommend downloading this from MMPs website and I would play again (as the Russians...)

Badger (AKA Peyton)
"Ní neart go cur le chéile. | There is no strength without unity." ~ Irish Proverb
Neal
Site Admin

Re: The Streets of Stalingrad - ASL Scenario C

Post by Neal »

Scenarios A,B,C are always a hoot, in SL and full ASL. Non-stop action.