Post your ASL AARs here.
Badger317

Decision at Elst

Post by Badger317 »

Germans: Peyton (AKA Badger317)
British: Brandon (AKA injurwii)

Initial set up:

Germans
The Germans initially set up their 9-2 leader with a radio and the HMG atop the steeple in the main town. Troops of SS were in surrounding houses as a backup in case the British were able to break through. The main German defense was to the western edge of the map with the two Panthers guarding the main choke points for British entry. Machine gun nests peppered the houses facing the western edge of the map board. German squads waited along the main road ready with their 19 available Panzerfausts.

British
The British set up as far forward as the set up parameters would allow with two groups of infantry, the larger of which were to the south west. British armor initially moved on board as two groups of armor. The idea was to flank around the polders with the tanks and take as much ground as possible.
Initial Setup
Initial Setup
Round 1
The British started off the advance by smoking out the machine gun nests in the first town. With the machine guns blind, the British could advance into melee and quickly the initial defenses were overrun. Major Souper and his men bravely pressed forward and the Germans sounded the retreat. The German leader attempted multiple times to contact the 100mm OBA via radio, but failed each time - thankfully he could try again the next round.
Souper's Advance
Souper's Advance
The two Panthers managed to take out four of the six Shermans, but one of the Panthers got surrounded and was ultimately knocked out. The second Panther made a hasty retreat to try and save itself from destruction. However, a PIAT took careful aim and scored a rear hit - knocking out the last Panther.
The Graveyard of British Shermans
The Graveyard of British Shermans
Refit Phase
During the refit phase, the battle lines were drawn. The Germans opted to take Tiger platoon, an infantry company (with an extra point spent to set the infantry up on board), and one rocket artillery OBA (150mm). The German infantry company was set up surrounding the steeple - the final objective. The high command knew that attempting to divide the force to stop the British exit would mean the downfall of the position.

The British took an infantry company (spending an extra point to set up on board) and two armor platoons. British infantry was set up near the town hall, with Maj. Souper in the center. The freshly recruited tank platoons would have to travel far to reinforce their comrades, but the threat of the Panthers was over.
Round 2 set up and zones of control
Round 2 set up and zones of control
Round 2
Sgt. Robbe (9-1) was excited about his charge to call in the rocket artillery for the Fatherland. However, when it was called upon, it went astray. The result was a stunned Tiger crew, and broken German units. Ultimately, Sgt. Robbe failed.

The British quickly met the 20 exit VP win condition. Now they just had to take the steeple. the British mortar crews smoked out the HMG nest in the steeple - rendering it useless. The British also smoked out the main lines of defense on the town and jumped into Melee that would ultimately last the remainder of the game. Maj. Souper attempted to run with his men to flank the SS on the other side of town and fully surround the steeple. However, a Tiger defending the town turned its gun and blasted away Souper and his men (not historically accurate in how Maj. Souper actually died, but he did die in our playthrough).

The Tiger crew that was stunned by Sgt. Robbe's errant shot was taken out by a British Firefly. The other Tiger defending the town malf'd its main armament right as a group of five British Shermans moved in. A Firefly then moved into a rear aspect shot and was ready to destroy the remaining Tiger from point blank range. The German squads were unable to find any panzerfausts and German high command determined that holding Elst was untenable. The British took Elst.
The remains of the battle
The remains of the battle

Badger (AKA Peyton)
"Ní neart go cur le chéile. | There is no strength without unity." ~ Irish Proverb
injurwii

Re: Decision at Elst

Post by injurwii »

Playing as the British forces was a slog. The polders along with narrow streets made difficult terrain for my tanks and the overall large map made movement for the infantry an ordeal. Numerically I had overwhelming forces, but it never felt like that until my shermans were able to get past the last polder and surround the German held steeple.
Overall a very fun campaign. I prefer the full ASL system just because concealment/dummy counters would make my attack much more cautious, but our goal was to experience the refit phase before biting off some larger campaign games.
I would recommend this campaign and I hope that MMP will do a reprint of this one as it is worth to have in your collection!
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »

Ohhhhh, very nice. I'm going to read this later today.

Question: would you mind if I turned this into an AAR article on the main site, with a little massaging? You guys would get credit for it obviously.
Badger317

Post by Badger317 »

Neal wrote: Sat May 11, 2024 4:14 pm Question: would you mind if I turned this into an AAR article on the main site, with a little massaging? You guys would get credit for it obviously.
We are absolutely okay with that!

Badger (AKA Peyton)
"Ní neart go cur le chéile. | There is no strength without unity." ~ Irish Proverb
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »