Half A Chance - The Adamantium Italian Tank

Post your ASL AARs here.
Badger317

Half A Chance - The Adamantium Italian Tank

Post by Badger317 »

Half A Chance
Bir El Gubi, Libya: 19 November 1941

Italians - Peyton (aka Badger317)
Reinforced elements of the III Battaglione, 8th Reggimento Bersaglieri with elements of VII Battaglione Carri M

British - Brandon (aka injurwii)
Elements of 3rd County of London Yeomanry

Set Up:
The British set up in two groups toward the top half of their set up area. The Italians spread out their guns and bore sighted out as far as possible (~15-16 hexes).

Action Summary:
The British entered on Turn 1 and managed to narrowly avoid the hidden bore sighted hexes for the Italian guns with most of their tanks. However, two tanks wandered in to the LOS and bore sighted hex of an Italian AT gun. This, coupled with a rate of fire on the gun, lead to two quick deaths to the British tank line. However, soon after this success, the gun breaks and eventually is eliminated.

Two British tanks fall to an AT gun, but then it breaks...
Two British tanks fall to an AT gun, but then it breaks...

On Turn 2, the Italian tank reinforcements entered as 5 platoons from the north, ready to take on the British tanks head on. However, an entire platoon of Italian tanks was wiped out upon entry.

*The smell of pasta and wine intensifies*
*The smell of pasta and wine intensifies*

The British aimed for the middle tanks of the three tank platoons, eliminating most of these central tanks. This led to gaps in the line that slowed the Italian advance. It took two full turns for the Italians to get in range of the British and the shoot out began that would last the remainder of the game. Italian tanks quickly fell and for a while, it looked like the British would succeed in their mission. However, the Italian officer's OBA stunned two British tanks. There was a lot of unlucky die rolls for the British and very lucky die rolls for the Italians. The British ended up losing more tanks to a single Italian tank - the Adamantium Tank. This tank was hit at least twenty times and each time, the round was either a dud or it dinked.

Ultimately, the Adamantium Italian Tank killed off enough British armor that the British could not meet their exit DVP objective - resulting in a pyrrhic victory for the Italians.

The tank graveyard in the desert near Bir El Gubi, Libya
The tank graveyard in the desert near Bir El Gubi, Libya

Peyton's thoughts:
This scenario was a grind. My opponent had a really tough time with the VASL dice bot and for some reason I was rolling out of my mind. This was definitely a good example of a DTO scenario, where the die rolls matter and the combat between AFVs is brutal. We like DTO, mainly for these larger tank battles that can occur.

Badger (AKA Peyton)
"Ní neart go cur le chéile. | There is no strength without unity." ~ Irish Proverb
injurwii

Re: Half A Chance - The Adamantium Italian Tank

Post by injurwii »

Playing as the British was frustrating to miss a bunch of TK die rolls but it was a fun one. Once I saw the Roar and Scenario Archive balance I didn't feel as bad for the loss. This one is heavily Italian favored, but it doesn't mean it wasn't fun to play and I would say DTO is underrated and underplayed in the community.
Neal
Site Admin

Re: Half A Chance - The Adamantium Italian Tank

Post by Neal »

That....is a lot of burning wrecks. 😲