Curious question

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum goes here.
MrsWargamer

Curious question

Post by MrsWargamer »

Hello, and first off THANKS, massive thanks for the portion of the site that has the maps.

I am curious though, how?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but how?

Or am I being obtuse?

Those images download excellently, they print out excellently. Several maps I was not even aware existed. Loved the Starters. Loved all of it.

But how? Or more bluntly, isn't that technically, less than legal?

I'm not complaining. Just curious.

Is this a Fight Club moment?

Is there a method to offer content to show appreciation? I have a nice stash of counter graphics.

Yes, I'm that MrsWargamer.
sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com
Neal
Site Admin

Re: Curious question

Post by Neal »

The map images on the site are extracted directly from the VASL map files. VASL is allowed to exist by Hasbro and MMP. They are only shown on this site for reference, but are all easily accessible within VASL.

Neal - Site Admin
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Thanks Neal

I should mention, they appear 100% credible tangible and useable when printed out. And downloading the image is nothing more complicated than a right click and selecting save copy.

I'm unsure if anyone is aware of this. I'm unsure if anyone cares.
I just know that a map from MMP is 6 bucks, plus shipping, then taxes.
From here it is right click, save, and 60 cents at a proper printer. A buck if you want card stock. Delivery is immediate and free.

I have zero love for Hasbro, I don't hate MMP.
Perhaps someone simply has not thought the matter out thoroughly.
Your site has made getting genuine maps from MMP totally without merit. Totally unnecessary.
And there is zero image value loss with them.

I was unable to tell they were meant for VASL. Look like proper boards to me.

I'd be ok buying them as a real product from MMP, provided the price wasn't insane, and entirely pointless.
It's 2023. No one is going to spend X hundreds of dollars to pay for something they don't HAVE to pay for.

"Starter Kit" is just another way of saying 'cardstock'. And paper is actually entirely adequate. Especially under glass and plexi.

Yes, I'm that MrsWargamer.
sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »

Another thing to remember is that people can create any board layout (including full historical maps) in VASL, and extract, export high resolution images, or print directly from there. And VASL has existed for, what...20 years? I don't know the details, but either MMP doesn't care or they aren't able to enforce copyright (because Hasbro owns that), and/or Hasbro doesn't care (I'm not sure they know ASL exists, lol).

I believed the maps also existed on the official site, https://advancedsquadleader.net/ but the site is broken/gone as of today, not sure.

So the images here (and on many other websites) are inconsequential.

Neal - Site Admin
Prester John

Post by Prester John »

One use I have for the printed VASL maps is for scenarios that need significant overlays and transformations (eg all hills are marsh).
Generate the map in VASL, increase the hex size a tad and print on large glossy paper for excellent face-to-face games.