Mapboard changes/edits information

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum goes here.
CDRG

Mapboard changes/edits information

Post by CDRG »

I have number of map boards from older modules. Is there a source of information for changes to map boards? Then I could buy or edit just those I need and not have to replace them all.
Also I see some lapboards have a letter after the number in the ASL Armory pages and, if I recall, in some scenarios. Does this indicate it is an updated version?
Lastly I know veteran players like the thin boards for drawing more accurate LOS across boards. So eventually I will get thin boards as and when I move into those scenarios I guess.
Thanks,
Mike G
(CDRG)
Neal
Site Admin

Re: Mapboard changes/edits information

Post by Neal »

None of the original mounted (hard) boards were changed when they were made as the thinner versions. I believe all they did was redo the artwork, but everything is still the same.

Letter only boards are either Starter Kit boards or Deluxe boards.

Boards with a letter after the number (eg. 17a & 17b on the flip side) are just a different style of board, but are completely new boards, not updated versions of 17 for example.

The old boards are perfectly functional, but may look odd when set up with the newer thin versions.
CDRG

Post by CDRG »

Huh, I had ASL grognard tell me to not use mounted mapboards because some have changed and the LOS's may not match. I wonder if he was using the edge half hexes without a center dot as an excuse. I like the mounted lapboards better, they lay flat and you don't need a plexiglass cover. But what do I know.
Prester John

Post by Prester John »

It's true, some have changed a bit because the original artwork had to be redrawn for modern production, but what the hey, when you put a board on the table it is "the board".
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »

For some fringe/infrequent LOSs on a handful of early boards many the LOS is slightly different, but the vast majority of LOS on the boards are unaffected. The chance of those fringe LOS differences affecting the outcome of a game are probably next to nil.
MrsWargamer

Post by MrsWargamer »

Once upon a time a long time ago, in the Squad Leader era, some of the very old boards were fractionally smaller hex size. But inasmuch as most boards are very new and very much more recent, you'd be lucky to even encounter one of the old boards. We're talking 30 and 40 year old boards here. They'd be lucky to be in serviceable condition.

Mounted boards though, DO have a frequent board edge that is not identical in size to the printed layer. And while I like the old mounted boards, I have learned that unmounted boards simply won't have this aspect. So if playing someone who is a bit mental about LOS verification, you might wish to avoid mounted maps.

Yes, I'm that MrsWargamer.
sukunai.ni.yori@hotmail.com