Thoughts on Forum Activity

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum goes here.
Kopfdorfer

Thoughts on Forum Activity

Post by Kopfdorfer »

Hi Guys and Gals and specifically Neal,

I spotted your exchange in the Welcome Thread regarding relative inactivity of the forum.
Did you consider a Players Seeking Play type thread ? I know that there are other forums that have this ,
and I really don't have a clue how difficult it is to manage , so forgive me my transgressions if the request is unreasonable.
I am in the situation where I would like to take a stab at VASL , but I am not confident how to proceed to get
a game with someone who can talk me through the usage of VASL. I have played a fair bit of SL and ASL ,
though some time ago , and while I would certainly be rusty , and would never claim to be a good player ,
I can roll Boxcars with the best of them.
I also have some experience gaming online , so the communication concet is not foreign , only selecting the softwear to use, and getting that up and going.
What I need is some tutelage in the use of the VASL mechanics , preferably in conjunction with a few very
simple scenarios initially at least.
If I am in this situation , I expect others are as well.
This concept of the thread for Players wanting initiation into the VASL system could be part of a general Players
Looking for Opponents thread , along with some kind of visual board of who is looking , and what kind of game they
desire to play. It could also include links to other forums Players Wanted sections.
I have gone so far as to putting together some ( about 8 so far , with concepts of about 30 drafted ) really short scenarios ( on VASL ) that focus on one or two additional rule areas per scenario , and are limited in Turn Length
( all are 4 or 4.5 Turns long) , and Map Area Maximum 1 Map board or a playing area no larger than 20 x 20 hexes.
I call these Scramble Scenarios. They are NOT specifically historical recreations , though each is inspired by actual historical events and/or conditions. My Scenarios are limited to ETO and Ostfront - I never got into the MTO or PTO -
I just wasn't prepared to swallow the additional rules at the time - I'd like to eventually , but there is only so much time for ASL.
There is ( other than my eye and experience ) no attempt at scenario balance - that is not what I designed them for.
They are meant to highlight one or two or three facets of the Game in a short digestible format that exercises both the players development of the ASL Rules , and the use of the VASL system.
Anyone think this is a worthy idea ? Or am I just creating a make work project for myself while I am jonesing to play ASL again ?

Kopfdorfer
Neal
Site Admin

Re: Thoughts on Forum Activity

Post by Neal »

I like your idea of very small scenarios that are meant to demonstrate certain ASL mechanics, but it takes time even to whip those together.

It's funny you mention learning VASL. I have my whole series of VASL tutorials, but they may be a bit long to wade though. I've toyed with the idea of doing a VASL live stream where I create a scenario setup (with some bling added) from the ground up as people watch and/or ask questions. So, from scenario cards to fully populated VASL setup.
Kopfdorfer

Post by Kopfdorfer »

Hi Neal,

I did use your tutorials enough to get Vassal and VASL downloaded , and up and running.
I have managed to get to much of the VASL scenario set up engine - I did this on my own by tinkering ,
not out of disrespect to your tutorial collection , but because that is the way I learn best.
I am not naturally inclined to computerese , I tend to learn what I must to do what I want , and am
resistant to working outside my realm of knowledge due to the fear that my tinkering might damage
something that I can't fix. I am sure the younger among your membership might snigger at this old codger ,
but I suspect others of my age range ( I turn 62 later this spring ) may feel the same way about computer usage
and learning. Remember the darn things were not in most houses when I started playing Squad Leader - it was
truly a world of cardboard soldiers.
In terms of my initial post in this thread and why I made it , my needs in terms of VASL are more past the scenario
set up - the scenarios I was referring to I built in VASL - and towards the interaction during gameplay.
As you know , the amount of info required to learn ASL is significant , and for someone not naturally inclined to
the modern technical , the VASL engine loads another large chunk of learning on top of it. No doubt to the younger
users the knowledge requirements of VASL are incidental , but to me they are a big hunk of learning for a brain with
not too much space left in it .
I will go through the rest of your tutorials , but I'd rather be playing.

Kopfdorfer
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »

Well, you can't break anything in VASL no more than you can break anything playing a game with units setup on a table. If you mess up you just drag the counter(s) back, or hit the Undo button, etc.

I still might do that VASL scenario setup live stream though.