Why I like the IIFT

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum goes here.
Kopfdorfer

Why I like the IIFT

Post by Kopfdorfer »

Yes I know , likely unpopular , and while I am not averse to using the original ,
I muchly prefer the IIFT ( Incremental Infantry Fire Table ) to the IFT.
I don't know for sure , but I suspect the IIFT came about during the switch from
SL to ASL , and I imagine it was in order to make value out of the change in the
Fire Value of the German MGs which all happen to have given the German MGs
Odd value IFT values ( which as you will note do not have corresponding columns
on the IFT - other than the One Column ).
Breaking it down a bit further ( don't worry I don't break anything down too far as I am not
too good at the old maths thing ) it also makes sense of the Half Firepower of the
6 Firepower US and SS Squads ( 3 IIFT Values ). It also gives a real difference to those pesky early war
Red Army 5-2-7s. If these values are not used , to me there is no sense in having values that
don't correspond directly to Firepower Columns on the IFT.
One of the great strengths of ASL to me is the variation in the types of Infantry Units that can
be represented , and one of the fundamental values that can be varied to express some of these
differences is the Firepower of various Infantry Units.
Whether we agree on the historicity of the ASL values ascribed to various units , we do have to agree
that having as much variety in these numbers gives us the flexibility to represent a wider variety of
units with different values and these values should have real meaning in game terms.
That is why , whenever given the choice , I believe the IIFT to be a better reflection of the
ASL system as a whole.

Kopfdorfer