Defending the pass through scenario

Anything that doesn't fit in another forum goes here.
LOCasey

Defending the pass through scenario

Post by LOCasey »

Getting to play more often these days, I'm discovering just how bad I am at defending in scenarios where the attacker needs to move units off the board to win.

For some reason, this is the toughest defense for me. I'm always either trying to defend too far forward, too far back, picking the wrong side of the board they're going to come through, or trying to cover everything and ending up so spread out, nothing is really defended.

I don't know if there is any universal guidance that applies in defending these kinds of situations, but I'll take it. Or I'd love see some video tutorial examples of defense setups for scenarios with these kind of victory conditions!

Thanks
Neal
Site Admin

Re: Defending the pass through scenario

Post by Neal »

Defending against exit can be difficult, especially in large scenarios. I think the best defense is the body block method, which I think some people find "gamey". But it IS a game.

Use your units as efficiently as possible to fall back at just the right pace so as the attacking player advances he has to stop because he's forced to enter point blank range or actually enter your hex, which he can't do unless HW/Banzai/Berserk. Then fall back next turn, repeat.
ray

Post by ray »

Is there a military term for this? what would the for real tactical doctrine be? Any 11 bravo comments?
ray

Post by ray »

saw a comment from a kgp game and the player was commenting on the half squads to be mopped up. I think asl could benefit from spi's fire teams so to have squads more dispersed. can't imagine a Viet nam game without the fire team principle.
RAy.