A7.3 - IFT clarification

For discussion/questions of Chapter A rules.
Traveller

A7.3 - IFT clarification

Post by Traveller »

In the IFT table the abbreviations describing the results of the attack have caused some disagreement in their interpretation and application.
Here is the disagreement regarding the meaning of K/#.

Rule: 7.302 K/#: At least one target unit suffers Casualty Reduction in each specifically targeted Location and all other target units must take a MC, adding the number indicated (#) to the MC DR.

I say the # represents how many units suffer Casualty Reduction and it represents the number added to the MC all other units take.

My opponent believes only one unit suffers Casualty Reduction and the # refers to the number added to the MC the other units take.

Your opinion please.
Neal
Site Admin

Re: IFT clarification

Post by Neal »

Whenever you see the term "at least one" that usually means Random Selection is involved, which is true in this case as it's stated later in A7.302:
Random Selection is used to determine which of multiple targets suffer Casualty Reduction.
The # is the Morale Check level that must be taken, including by just reduced units.

So if the result is a K/2 on a stack of 3 squads you do RS to determine which squad(s) are Casualty Reduced (at least one will be, possibly all three if you're really unlucky), then they all have to take a 2MC "including any just-Reduced HS"
Traveller

Re: IFT clarification

Post by Traveller »

Thanks for the explanation. I stand corrected again.