Spraying Fire

For discussion/questions of Chapter A rules.
K-2

Spraying Fire

Post by K-2 »

Probably a silly question concerning Spraying Fire. Can a fire group use spraying fire assuming all the units have the capability individually?
Neal
Site Admin

Re: Spraying Fire

Post by Neal »

K-2 wrote: Mon Mar 20, 2023 8:49 pm Probably a silly question concerning Spraying Fire. Can a fire group use spraying fire assuming all the units have the capability individually?
Yes, that's the only way a FG can be formed. They must all have spraying fire capability (or the SW used with a FG must have it too).

Neal - Site Admin
K-2

Post by K-2 »

Thanks Neal, still trying to digest the rules and learn. I asked because the 7.34 Squad Spraying Fire specifically says "Any SQUAD..." which is singular. I assumed that it could be used by a fire group even though I don't know that tactically it makes better sense. A pair of Soviet 6-2-8s could make separate 6 fire power attacks against two separate locations, or operate as a fire group using spraying fire against the same two hexes. However, with the halving for area firepower the result is the same. Unless they were located in the same hex/location requiring a mandatory FG for attacking same target it would not seem to make a lot of sense to do it that way.
Neal
Site Admin

Post by Neal »

7.34 is in reference to squad spraying fire capability, so it just references a squad.

See A9.52 for FGs...

9.52 RESTRICTIONS: Spraying Fire cannot be used in a FG attack unless all members of the FG are capable of Spraying Fire, opt to use it, and trace their LOS to the same two target points....

Neal - Site Admin