A12.12 CONCEALMENT, PLACEMENT

For discussion/questions of Chapter A rules.
Kohlenklau

A12.12 CONCEALMENT, PLACEMENT

Post by Kohlenklau »

I am enjoying playing "Cutting out a strongpoint" 7 miles south of Halfaya, Libya.

My opponent and I are not using concealment as he said the LOS is so intense on flat desert maps. I followed along as the greenhorn I am.

Looking at a blog by a guy who writes great AAR's, he calls them SIlly AAR's, he did have concealment counters.

I read these rules paragraphs and often my brain just can't at first spot the key words to decipher the intent. I try a few more times and MAYBE I start to get it.

This post sat here a good 10 minutes as I went back and read it through again a few times and maybe NOW I see the keywords I am missing at first. 17 hexes away seems to be the key words and then you can bring in non-OB -designated concealment counters? There are NO scenario OB-designated concealment counters that I see on the card. Maybe my buddy focused on that. He has old ASL rules...

EDIT: Desert Terrain Chart? It has a note E for scrub that makes me think, as makes sense, that the terrain of the bloody desert is not so agreeable to concealment. Maybe ONLY scrub is where infantry can have concealment?

But still, can some kind fellow boil this down a tad for me? Desert concealment counters...

Thanks oh rules gods
Prester John

Re: A12.12 CONCEALMENT, PLACEMENT

Post by Prester John »

https://asl-players.net/downloads/phase ... erence.pdf

Okay so this is a summary of the phases, and at the end of the attackers CC phase the attacker can gain concealment of any unbroken units in concealment terrain out of LOS of unbroken enemy. Scrub is concealment terrain.

Then the A12.121 Concealment Table comes into being. It's in the Chap A Reference charts. You can check for range and LOS for unbroken enemy units at >= 17 hexes. But once you have concealment and you move in the open in LOS of the enemy then you lose it. The extreme scarcity of concealment terrain makes keeping concealment very difficult in the desert. Assault move helps you keep concealment.

Anyway you're on a big map and have opportunity to gain concealment, but it's hard to keep it.
Kohlenklau

Re: A12.12 CONCEALMENT, PLACEMENT

Post by Kohlenklau »

Another, I lost track how many, THANKS John down under!