A12.3 - Firing at HIP units or empty hex

For discussion/questions of Chapter A rules.
Aaron74

A12.3 - Firing at HIP units or empty hex

Post by Aaron74 »

Hi all, I've finally moved up to full ASL a while ago and had a question. Playing a scenario with some HIP units. Is it legal to fire at empty hexes in an attempt to reveal hidden units, either using infantry fire or guns/ordnance? I can't find anything specific in the rule book that allows OR prohibits this.

ok, 2nd questionnow that I think of it. If a hidden unit is discovered doing this is it fully revealed and then placed under a concealment counter?

thanks!
Milton

Re: A12.3 - Firing at HIP units or empty hex

Post by Milton »

Yes you can fire on empty hexes to reveal HIP units, also to establish acquisition for ordinance. If discovered (remember to allow for concealment benefits on the IFT or To Hit table) it would be fully revealed.

Disclamer: I am by no means an expert on the rules. Good Luck!
marchanna

Post by marchanna »

congrats at moving to full ASL.

Milton is correct, one minor clarification is that only Area Target Type can be used to place large 5/8" acquisition counters in an empty hex.

A hidden unit is 'discovered' during 'recon by fire' it only be due to an effective IFT result (PTC at least) and, if ordnance is involved, a hit must be obtained first, followed by an effective IFT result. In such cases, per the concealment loss chart, the HIP unit is fully revealed. no concealment counter.
Milton

Post by Milton »

I think you can also spray fire a moving target and empty hex adjacent to leave residual fp during the MPh. :roll: